Ebenezer United Church of Christ has a history of ordinary people working hard with God and each other to accomplish extraordinary things. In 1912, the congregation began meeting in an empty butcher shop on, what was then, Calumet Plank Road. Within the first two years after organizing, the faithful charter members had built a chapel to begin to serve the needs of the congregation and the wider community. By Christmas 1914, the church held its first service in its own building, across the street from Jefferson School. In 1920, a service was added in English, “the language of the young people,” with the German service continuing into the 1930s. When a large sanctuary was added to the building in 1926, the Ladies’ Aid Society raised money for the church’s Moeller pipe organ, which is still in use at our church today. Ebenezer initiated Faith Church in 1953, in the Erdman area (now Our Shepherd UCC in Howards Grove). In 1957, Rev. Ruben Grosshuesch began his productive 29-year pastorate, with a strong emphasis on Christian education and stewardship.
In 1970, the congregation had outgrown its facilities, so a nine-acre field was purchased, and a new church was built on the growing edge of Sheboygan, where there were not yet any through-streets. The vision of those wise leaders to step forward in faith has borne fruit. The church is now conveniently located along one of the main thoroughfares of the city with plenty of parking anda large parcel of land that allows room for growth.
In 2011, an expanded gathering area and offices were added, along with many infrastructure updates and solar electric panels, to prepare the facilities for our second century of ministry. The pastors of Ebenezer have been crucial in helping our church thrive and grow, bringing their special gifts of faith, vision, guidance, and continuity of purpose. Ebenezer’s congregation continues to show and share God’s love in all the ways they can. New members bring their talents and gifts that enhance our ability to serve as a congregation.